Sunday, March 7, 2010

Italian Sausage Spaghetti


This recipe was contributed by Tia Sherwood, one of Rachel's best friends.

This one is great for 3 reasons: It goes in the crock pot, it makes enough for 2-3 meals (if you have a small family or are cooking for 2) , it freezes really well. So I like to make it, have it for dinner, lunch the next day and then put the rest in a gallon size freezer bag to save for one of those time you need a quick meal. Also, my mom taught me to lay the bag flat, like on a pizza box to freeze it, that way you can stack it once it is frozen AND it will thaw really quickly. I usually put it in a sink of hot water and within a few minutes it is soft enough to get into a pot to heat up. Anyway, here is the recipe:

Italian Sausage Spaghetti

1 package Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2 pieces
1 cup diced onions
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves minced garlic
28 oz can crushed tomatos (undrained)
15 oz can tomato sauce
12 oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 lbs spaghetti (so about 3 dinners for us)

I cut up the sausage and throw it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Combine the rest of the ingredients, except the spaghetti of course, pour that in over the sausage and leave it be!

Cook in crock pot on low for 8-10 hours. I usually forget to put it in until later in the day and put it on high to reduce the time. So long as the sausage is done it is fine.

Boil pasta according to the directions and viola! Meatballs and all--it is great.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I made this tonight. It was okay, but I don't think I am a huge fan of Italian sausage. But I am glad I tried it anyway! It was VERY easy, so I recommend it to anyone who likes sausage.