Sunday, March 14, 2010

Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken


This recipe was contributed by Tia Sherwood.

Three reasons this recipe is great: 1)it goes in the crock pot, 2)it can be served a variety of ways, 3)it is DELICIOUS.

Combine all of the following in a slow cooker:

2-4 chicken breasts (I usually do 3 and have tons of left overs, but have added up to 6 when we were having guests over)
1 cup chicken broth (I don't always do this)
1 cup salsa
1 15 oz can of corn, drained
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained
1 pkg taco seasoning

I usually just put the chicken in the bottom then mix everything else up in a mixing bowl before pouring over. The chicken can be frozen or fresh, whatever you have.

Cook for 3-4 hours.

After this you can "Choose your own adventure". You can scoop out the chicken and pour the salsa mixture over it on the plate. Top with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. I've never done this variation but it is the way it was originally written.

OR shred the chicken about 30 min before you are ready to serve. It will be so tender at this point you can easy just reach into your slow cooker with 2 forks and break up the chicken breasts. Leaving for another 30 minutes will allow the chicken to then soak up all the juices that are in there, otherwise it will be kinda watery.

After shredding it you can add 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1 cup grated cheese, or for a healthier version just use the sour cream and cheese as toppings. I do both!

I love to buy the corn tortillas and fry them up to serve this in. Regular flour tortillas or hard shells would be great too.
You could use it to make taco salads or we have even used it to fill enchiladas before. It is likely you'll have enough leftovers to try 2 or 3 variations if you want.

4 comments:

Laura said...

This looks DIVINE! I have kept the page up in one of my tabs so I wouldn't forget to make it soon. Anyone tried it yet? I bet it would be yummy in baked taquitos too!

Laura said...

Holy cow, this is good! We shredded it up and put it in burritos (with the uncooked costco tortillas). DIVINE. I didn't mix the cheese and sour cream in, but we just put it on our own. Big hit. Thanks, Tia!

Karissa said...

Made this last night and it was Fabulous!! Huge hit in the Miller house! Thanks girls :)

Rachel said...

I made this, and it was yummy but soupy. I sort of felt like it was more of a chicken chili then I was picturing. Next time, I think I will NOT add the can of broth, unless the meat needs some moisture part-way through the cooking. Does that make sense?

Ryan and I tried serving the meat in a variety of ways, including on a salad, in a burrito, etc. Our favorite was in a quesadilla...the melted cheese was really good with it, and then we put a dollop of sour cream on top. So delicious!