Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pavlova


This recipe was contributed by Sarah McKenna.  It is from a Silver Palate Cookbook.
My husband spent two years in Australia on a religious mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  While there, this was his definite favorite Australian delicacy.  Every time that I eat it I am shocked by how rich and delicious it is, especially since it's basically just egg whites and sugar!  Additionally, since it is basically just egg whites, it is not all that bad for you!  We have been doing Weight Watchers together, so we make this treat anytime we have people over now because it is relatively low in points.  A sixth of the pavlova---which is a sizable amount!---WITH the whipped cream is only 7 points on the old WW system (an eighth is 6 points) and on the NEW system a sixth is only 4 points (an eight is 3 points).  If you are someone who is satisfied with Cool Whip instead of real whipped cream (Um, LAME!) then you can drop your points to 3 per slice on the old system and 0 points per slice on the new system.  Um, WOW . . . . maybe I should reconsider my stance on Cool Whip.   

Anyway, I made this last night for a card making club that I was hosting and it got RAVE reviews.  In fact, I got so many requests for the recipe that I decided to just post it on this blog.  You will definitely need an electric hand mixer, and a spring form (cheesecake) pan is best for baking, but a round pan of any sort would probably work.  It is best with this recipe to have everything out on the counter and ready to use so there isn't much down time in the beating process.

And, yes, it is named after the famous ballerina.  On to the recipe . . . .

Pavlova

4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar (I just use white because it's what I keep on hand.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 to 3 cups fresh berries (Strawberries are our favorite!)

1.  Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2.  Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar together in a bowl until the whites hold a stiff peak.
3.  Add the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy.
4.  Beat in the cornstarch, then the vinegar and vanilla.
5.  Butter and flour (baking PAM!) an 8 inch spring form pan and fill gently with the meringue mixture, spreading it slightly higher around the edges than in the center of the pan to form a depression.  (You barely have to do this at all!)
6.  Bake cake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until meringue is firm and lightly browned.  Pavlova will remain moist inside.  Cool slightly, unmold, slide onto a serving plate, and cool completely.  
5.  Lightly whip cream just before serving and prepare berries.  
6.  Serve with whipped cream and berries on top.

5 comments:

AnnBrown said...

This looks wonderful!!! I'm going to have to try it soon!

Sis. Stokes said...

Oh Sary, you speak directly to my sweet tooth (teeth). They are, as you know, all but maybe two teeth in my mouth. Oh how I miss your face! This blog rocks, by the way.

N M said...

Hi there. So I'm just a random who stopped by but just had to clarify - the Pavlova is a NEW ZEALAND dessert, the Aussies stole it from us (like everything else!). And you don't really need to make it in a cake pan, I've never ever heard/seen it done like that, a simple flat tray will suffice, you put down baking paper that has a large circle traced around and put the mixture within the parameters of that. OK, that was all, right, I'm off to make me Pav now. Yummo.

Sarah McK said...

Thanks for the tips and clarification, Neralee!

Courtney @ Sweet C's Designs said...

I absolutely LOVE pavlova! So yummy! Thanks for linking it up to my Summer Party Series! How awesome would this be at a birthday party as an option instead of just the kids (loaded with fat and frosting) cake?