Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chicken Tamale Casserole

I just tried this out tonight and couldn't believe how easy it was. My husband and I both thought it was a good staple meal.

Chicken Tamale Casserole

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (next time I will use a little more)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (such as Martha White)
  • 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
  • 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (such as Old El Paso)
  • 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
  • sour cream to serve with
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream.

Hope you like it!

8 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

hey! i've made this! Where did you find the recipe?

Sarah McK said...

This looks awesome! And EASY! I can't wait to try it! If we were still there we could have made it FOR you....just saying. :)

Sarah McK said...

I just made this and I LOVED it! I loved the mix of sweet and spicy! (Warning: Don't use "hot" enchilada sauce...it was burning my mouth off and we couldn't share it with our baby.) :) I also loved that it was SOO easy and hardly created any dishes/mess, which is very important to me since I don't have a dishwasher.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike and Tia Fam said...

Funny that you got and . . . an Asian comment! We just had this for dinner. I also like the easy, no messiness. The sweet and spicy was nice. I think I'll watch for these cans to go on sale as this could become a regular on our table. I'll make sure to return the favor and email Rach some of my easiest meals.
You Westy girls are awesome!

Kevin said...

I thought it was a little TOO sweet with the creamed corn, and so I used regular corn the next time. It was a little more what I liked.
Also, as a bit of a Mexican food snob, I found that some red enchilada sauces taste like ketchup, while some give you the true red chile experience. You just have to check the ingredients to see if it is tomato sauce or chile sauce. I choose chile!
Also, the canned chicken from Costco, if you shred it, comes to about 2 cups, and that makes it SUPER easy!
--Chelsea

Rachel said...

I have to disagree with Chelsea about the sweetness--I love it with the creamed corn!

The one thing that I do change when I make this recipe (which is one of my favorites) is I do not cook it a full 15 minutes after the chicken has been added because I don't want the chicken to be too tough. I just wait until the cheese melts, and then I take it out.

YUM!

Sarah McK said...

I love it just the way it is. Yum! Rach---Isn't your cornbread still a little soggy if you do it that way? Chels---Thanks for the tip on the chili sauce. I'm definitely taking note next time. Is there a certain brand that's good? Our ghetto supermarket only has old elpaso.