Friday, December 18, 2009

Fettuccine Alfredo

This recipe was contributed by Marie Newman via Sarah McKenna. Marie's comments and directions on making this delectable health food delicacy are below. Ha. :) This one is for you, Rachel!

Fettuccine Alfredo

3/4 lb uncooked fettuccine
6 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
dash of white pepper and ground nutmeg
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I use the packaged grated stuff in the refrigerator section)

Cook fettuccine according to package directions. While cooking, place butter and cream in heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until butter melts and mixture bubbles. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat and gradually stir in cheese until thoroughly blended. Pour sauce over fettuccine and toss to combine. Can serve with bbq chicken.

This is my favorite alfredo sauce because it is the cheapest! I know you can reduce cream and make it taste like Olive Garden, but I don't want to pay for all that cream and watch it reduce for forever. I think this tastes pretty good and it is so fast and easy. My sister would probably shake her head at me that I don't reduce my cream or buy the expensive parmesan blocks to grate myself. Don't tell...

1 comment:

Sarah McK said...

We had leftover cream from something so I thought I'd try this last night. It was EASY and yum! I had two problems: the cheese didn't melt completely so I ended up stirring it not on heat at first and then over heat. Also, next time I will use less salt.